Zoo Rules, Policies & Prohibited Items
- Following government guidelines beginning Sunday, March 6, 2022, the Zoo will no longer have mask requirements for guest. Please continue to be kind and considerate of others’ decision to wear or not wear masks.
- The Zoo is tobacco- and smoke-free. The use of these products, including e-cigarettes, within Zoo grounds is prohibited.
- Coolers and picnic baskets are permitted on the Zoo grounds. (Glass bottles are prohibited.) There are picnic areas located in central areas at the Zoo.
- Shirt and shoes are required.
- Family-friendly attire is required (no profanity or graphic images). Shirt and shoes must be worn. Swimsuits are prohibited.
- Wearing a costume for guests 14 and older is prohibited, with the exception of Zoo-sponsored events such as Boo at the Zoo. Costume masks are not permitted for guests 14 and older.
- Children under age 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. One adult chaperone is required for every 10 children (on field trips, etc.).
- The Zoo may take photographs and video of your party during your visit to the Zoo or the Saint Louis Zoo WildCare Park. These photos and videos may be used by the Zoo for both internal and public publications, including the Zoo website and social media channels.
- Distribution of any advertisement, circular or handbill, products, or solicitation of funds or pledges of contributions within Zoo property is prohibited.
- Personal video and photography are permitted, provided they don't interrupt the visitor experience for others.
- Student/commercial filming must be approved by the Zoo's Public Relations Department in advance.
- Strollers and other personal belongings are left unattended at the owner's risk.
- Tickets and wristbands are nonrefundable. The Zoo is not responsible for refunding purchases in the event of inclement weather, attraction wait times, early closing times or special events.
For the safety and welfare of our animals and visitors, the following are prohibited:
- The use of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes
- Dogs or other pets. Service animals are permitted, except in the Cypress Swamp (1904 Flight Cage), Bird House and Winging It! Bird Show. A service animal must be under the control of its handler. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless the individual’s disability prevents using these devices or these devices interfere with the service animal’s safe, effective performance of tasks. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.
- Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA and are not permitted inside the Zoo.
- Feeding the animals
- Entering non-public areas
- Running on the pathways
- Glass bottle
- Firearms and weapons (even if you have a concealed carry endorsement)
- Bicycles (racks are available at entrances)
- Segways and hoverboards
- Skates, skateboards, roller blades or scooters
- Loud radios
- Swim suits
- Profanity on clothing
- Wearing a costume if over the age of 13
The rules and policies listed here are not intended to serve as an exhaustive list of all rules and policies. Contact the Human Resources Department at (314) 781-0900 for more information. Your cooperation is appreciated.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to know before, during and after your visit.