We nurture respect for animals and their habitats and promote conservation action by providing educational opportunities and experiences.
Learn with the Zoo
We offer a large variety of programs, resources and opportunities for all learners.
Our goal is that every child has the opportunity to reach their full potential in our conservation education programs. Our programs are developmentally appropriate for the set age range listed. We realize that sometimes developmental level does not correlate to chronological age. If this is the case, you can reach out to us to determine the best placement for your child.
Education Department COVID-19 Communications
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, additional restrictions may be required for attending all in-person programs. These decisions are based on City and CDC guidelines and may change during periods of high transmission. Changes to this policy will be updated as needed.
- The Zoo no longer requires indoor mask/facial coverings for most Conservation Education program participants, but still recommends participants wear them while indoors. Please continue to be kind and considerate of others’ decision to wear or not wear masks.
- Masks and facial coverings are still required for some indoor behind-the-scenes areas. Participants, staff and volunteers should be prepared to mask when visiting any of the indoor behind-the-scenes areas requiring masks or facial coverings.
- Saint Louis Zoo Preschool is following CDC COVID-19 policies and recommendations. Teachers and students will be required to wear masks indoors during times of high transmission. Masking will be optional otherwise.
- Participants attending multi-day programs and overnights are required to complete a daily health screening form. The form must be completed each morning for multi-day programs, and up to eight hours before attending any overnight programs.
- If a program session is cancelled due to COVID-19 related issues, we may offer a virtual program if applicable, or issue a full refund.
No participant should attend any in-person program(s) if they have experienced one or any combination of the symptoms associated with COVID-19 within the last 24 hours, and/or any of the following statements apply:
- Fever of 100.1 F or higher in the last 48 hours
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Participant has tested positive for COVID-19, and has not completed their mandated quarantine period
- Participant previously tested positive for COVID-19, but still has symptoms mentioned above
- During the past 10 days, the participant has been exposed to a confirmed positive COVID-19 case and is symptomatic
- During the past 10 days, the participant has been advised to self-quarantine by a doctor or other health authority and has not meet the CDC criteria to exit quarantine, or the quarantine period has been less than 5 days.
Participants who have been exposed to COVID-19 in the past 10 days, are isolating from the exposure and have no symptoms, must wear a KN95, N95 or KF94 mask at all times while attending day or multi-day programs.
Overnight program participants can only attend the evening portion of the overnight program, and must wear a KN95, N95 or KF94 mask at all times during the program.
For In-Person Programs, the following applies:
Although safety precautions as to your visit are taken by the Saint Louis Zoo, every visitor/program participant is responsible for his or her personal safety and that of children or others under their supervision. In consideration of access to the Zoo, visitors/program participants (a) agree to comply with Zoo policies and instructions, including those on signage (b) understand and agree that the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has recently infected individuals in the St. Louis area, that it is contagious and that it can spread to persons in any number of ways (c) agree that they assume responsibility for any injury (including personal injury, disability or death), illness, damage, loss claim, liability, or expense arising out of or related to COVID-19 experienced or contracted in connection with a Zoo visit/program (d) that they waive and release all claims against the Zoo and its commissioners, officers, employees, volunteers and agents relative to the foregoing matters and (e) that they agree that the Zoo is legally entitled to sovereign immunity regarding to any such claims.
The Education Department is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. We are closed on weekends and holidays. Our staff can be contacted at (314) 646-4544, option #6, or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about Education in our brochure.