Did you know?
- Also known as the “crested seriema” due to the feathers on its head.
- It prefers walk instead of fly.
- It can run up to 15 miles per hour before taking flight.
- They have eyelashes, a rarity among birds.
- They enjoy sunbathing and will rest on their sides.
This large bird is a fierce hunter, known to kill and eat venomous coral snakes. In order to kill their prey, they will pick up prey and slam it on the ground.
Able to Adapt
Unlike many other species, these birds thrive in disturbed, or open, habitats. They have adapted well to living near humans.
- Near Threatened
- Critically Endangered
- Extinct in the Wild
The Red-legged Seriema is widespread and abundant.
We care about red-legged seriemas
The Saint Louis Zoo supports red-legged seriemas through the Species Survival Plan in the Bird House.
Find this animal in Historic Hill
SAINT LOUIS ZOO ZONE
Historic Hill is a lovely stroll through one of the oldest parts of the Saint Louis Zoo. From the 1904 World’s Fair Flight Cage to the Spanish architectural flavor of the 1920s in the Bird House, Primate House and Herpetarium to the finishing touches of our thoroughly modern exhibits, this area of the Zoo has a unique ambiance and a nostalgic history that make it a great destination.