- MGA Implant (F) - Ideally, to minimize progestin exposure, insert 1 month before the breeding season and remove 1 month after end of breeding season
- Depo-Provera® injection (F) - 5 mg/kg body wt. throughout breeding season.
• Contraception schedule for MGA implant placement/removal and Depo-Provera injection frequency and number of doses for various lemur taxa. This schedule is based upon data from the RMC Contraception Database and the Duke Lemur Center of earliest and latest breeding dates. Please realize that there may also be individual variation.
# doses in season
Every 40-45 days
Every 60 days
Every 45 days
Every 45 days
- GnRH Agonists - Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone
Agonists are considered the safest reversible contraceptives, but
dosages and duration of efficacy are not well established for all
species. Side effects are generally similar to those associated with
gonadectomy, especially the potential for weight gain unless diet is
• Suprelorin® (deslorelin) Implants (F or M)
• Lupron® Depot Injection (F or M)
Depo-Provera is associated with weight gain and possible masculinization of females, e.g., in dichromatic species, female may take on aspects of male coloration.
Research and Monitoring
THE USE OF ANY CONTRACEPTIVE IN NON-DOMESTIC ANIMALS IS CONSIDERED EXPERIMENTAL
(M=MALE-DIRECTED, F=FEMALE-DIRECTED METHOD)